Freedom's Raw Recipes

Friday, August 04, 2006

Freedom's Raw Hommus



However, you spell it, however you say it, hommus is yummy! I've seen lots of recipes called things like "Delicious raw Hommus - Chickpea Free!" or "Yummy Zucchini Hommus" but when chickpeas are so delicious, why would you want to make hommus without them? I consider it a crime... so I got in the kitchen and created this beautiful, chunky, flavoursome dip. Far nicer than any cooked hommus I ever had!

Ingredients:
3/8 cup sprouted chickpeas* (for the non-mathematically minded that means fill the 1/4 cup measure, then half fill it)
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp raw tahini
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp coconut water (ie fresh from a coconut) or spring/filtered water, or more lemon juice if you like it zingy
1 smallish garlic clove, crushed
1 big spring onion, white part only of course, chopped roughly

Instructions:
Place the chickpeas, onion, parsley and garlic in a food processor and finely mince then add all other ingredients and process until smooth (or not so smooth if thats how you like it :-)
Serve in a bowl with sprouted chickpeas thrown on top.

* To sprout chickpeas, soak them for a minimum of about 8 hours with LOTS of water - these things are seriously like sponges, so if you're going out/to bed while they're soaking make sure there is plenty of water for them to soak up. Place them in a strainer/colander or something similar and put them on the draining board of your sink (or anywhere else really) and leave them to sprout, rinsing a few times a day. Their tails wikll start growing after 1 or 2 days but I love them so much that I usually start munching on them before they even start sprouting...

8 Comments:

  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger keda said…

    thanks for the recipe but mostly thanks for instructions on how to "sprout" the chickpeas. you make it sound so easy. i will cast my sprouting freas aside and attempt your recipe.

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Freedom said…

    Hey Keda, it's great to *see* you here! I'm so glad I've inspired you to sprout some yummy little chickpeas, it really is so easy! Good luck.

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger keda said…

    sprouting successful. chickpeas and hummus delicious. thanks again for the inspiration.

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Blogger Freedom said…

    Wonderful! I'm so glad you had success - try some other recipes and let me know how they go!

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger FlowerChemist said…

    You have such get recipes! I have a question... Is a spring onion the same thing as a green onion? Thanks.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger FlowerChemist said…

    Also...do you measure 3/8 chickpeas before or after you sprout them?

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Candi said…

    I love your blog! I messed up sprouting chickpeas the first time I did it. (maybe I soaked them too long) so I'm happy to read your directions here! I'll give it another go!! Thanks!

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I made this hummas a few days ago and I tossed it out. I've only been raw 6 days and honestly, even If I'd been raw 6 years.. I will never like that hummas. Way too chunky and earthy for me =)
    I love your blog!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home